With the launch of a new virtual legal advice clinic, Florida Free Legal Answers, low-income Floridians now have a way to get their legal questions answered by a licensed attorney completely free of charge. A cooperative effort between The Florida Bar and the ABA, the program leverages technology to help improve access to justice for those who would otherwise find it out of reach.
Foundation's new pro bono website goes statewide
After a successful pilot in Miami-Dade County, FloridaProBonoMatters.org, a new website that enables pro bono attorneys to search for local pro bono cases that suit their interests, is being rolled out statewide. The Florida Bar Foundation, which has funded and overseen the development of the site, held training sessions in June for legal aid and pro bono program staff in Central and South Florida to learn how to display their pro bono cases.
Opinion will address LRS fees
An advisory opinion on whether lawyer referral services can charge per referral and impose different fees for various types of cases is being prepared by the Bar’s Board Review Committee on Professional Ethics.
Bar's LRS to enhance its online offerings
A proposal to upgrade the Bar’s Lawyer Referral Service by boosting its online presence is being worked on by the Bar Board of Governors. Board Technology Committee Chair John Stewart said the Bar is negotiating with Legal.io, a San Francisco-based legal technology company, to design an online platform for the Bar’s referral service.
What are a lawyer's obligations to a suicidal client?
If a client discloses an intent to commit suicide, a lawyer’s first obligations should be the same as any sensitive and understanding individual.
Report from The Florida Bar Board of Governors
The Florida Bar Board of Governors met on July 21. The major actions of the board and reports received included:
- Cyber Security and Zola Media added to Bar's member benefits lineup
- Bar CRC education effort launches in September
- Foundation puts $1.5 million from Bank of America settlement to work
- Divided court won't hear appeals bond case
- Bar's investments perform well
- Trust accounting software project sets a fall pilot program rollout
- Holland & Knight donates $100,000 to LSGM, Inc.
- Journal & News, FRP program to undergo a PEC evaluation
- 5k raises money for Gonzalez scholarship
- RPPTL honors Pence, Sklar
- GAL project aims to help children
- Court honors Judges Kelly and Ramsberger
- WINGS initiative aims to improve guardianship through collaboration
- Solo & Small Firm Section plans trip to the Emerald Isle
- Tampa Bar Area Voluntary Leaders' Summit recognized
- Proposed advisory opinion on lawyer referral service fees
- U.S. 11th Circuit to amend its rules
- Rules of Judicial Administration Committee out-of-cycle report
- Amendments to family law rules
- Stewart petitions for reinstatement
- Kuritz petitions for Bar reinstatement
- U.S. Middle District seeks a magistrate judge for the Tampa division
- 13th Circuit needs a judge
- 11th Circuit needs a county judge
- Manatee County needs a judge
Florida Bar Resources
The Florida Bar Journal
In the early 1970s at the Florida Supreme Court, a white-coated black butler balanced a silver tray and walked from one justice’s chambers to another, serving coffee in china cups. After morning coffee-service, the butler would then roll file carts from office to office.
|Master Class on Telemedicine|
COURSE CLASSIFICATION: ADVANCED LEVEL. Live and Webcast Presentation: Friday, September 15, Rosen Centre Hotel, Orlando.
Advanced Medical Malpractice 2017
September 8, Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six, Ft. Lauderdale